Before you read on and think ‘hang on, there’s no pumpkin here’, I’ll explain.
I had every intention of doing this post using pumpkin, but this Cinderella has a butternut squash patch in her back garden, and I decided to pick one of them instead! The recipe works exactly the same, yay winter mac and cheese!
- Cook 250g macaroni (or any pasta!), drain and set to one side
- While the pasta is boiling, chop 400g pumpkin (or squash!) into chunks, and boil for 10-15 mins until soft.
- Once drained, put the pumpkin back into the saucepan, add 3 tbsp butter and 150ml milk and using a stick blender, blitz until smooth. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Add 100g cheddar and 1 tsp paprika and blend again, then stir in another 50g cheese.
- Add the pasta to the sauce, and stir to combine
This can be stored in the fridge and reheated either in a saucepan or microwave, and is such a great winter warmer recipe! Its also a good way to get kids to eat veggies without noticing!